Friday, August 10, 2012

Reliving Youth


August 10, 2012
It would have been my 38th Wedding Anniversary today if I hadn’t divorced 18 years ago. Instead of celebrating an anniversary, I was caring for my mother with dementia and picking my nephew up from school. So I decided we all would get a treat and drove through Lenny’s a local burger joint. We ordered an ice cream sundae for Mom and only had a couple of minutes to drive home before she could eat it. But when it comes to sweets, Mom won’t wait. Of course she pulled the lid off and got caramel sauce all over herself and the car and her purse. I swear it is like caring for a two year old who won’t listen. She insists that I am her sister Blanche and that she is only a child, without a husband and children. I knew this time would come where she is reliving her childhood and is having a hard time relating to the reality of her adult life at all. My nephew Roger is there witness to all of this and at 12 years old has had a real lesson as to the effects of Alzheimer’s. Now his grandmother thinks she is the same age as him.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment